Now, you have had time to practice part one and two of building Relationships through Conversation — we are ready to go DEEPER LEVELS OF CONNECTION.
Tips for taking conversations to a deeper level of connection:
- Be aware of theirs and your comfort zones. Do not be too close or too far from them.
- Keep your stories and commentaries short and focused.
- Tell them something funny about yourself.
- Come prepared with three questions around one topic for more depth and interest.
- Compliment them with sincerity e.g., “I commend you or appreciate you on … (tell the facts or repeat what they said) and that’s meaningful to me because …”Think before you respond to a question or comment so you are more likely to share your truth rather than a habitual response.
- Appreciate differences. Open to accept what they say without judgment.
- Avoid gossiping about others.
- When you need to be clear that you’ve understood correctly, paraphrase in your own words what you have heard and ask them to confirm that your understanding is correct.
- Endeavour to keep the conversation balanced between the two of you so both are participating equally.
- Introduce the person to a third party and initiate the conversation between them.
For true communion:
- Let go of mental agendas so you can be conscious, attentive and fully present in each moment.
- Be genuine – release your defences as much as possible.
- Listen and speak from the heart.
- Open to the other in appreciation.
- Open to connecting with passion, truth, wisdom and mystery.
Our next post will be Conversation starter questions/comments: