Hopefully, you have practiced parts 1-3 of Building Relationships through Conversation — Here is the last post – Part Four.
Conversation starter questions/comments:
- What brings you here? How do you know the host/organizer? What can you tell me about him/her or the organization? I am here because …
- Where are you from? What do you like about it? What was it like growing up there? Where would you like to ideally live? Share your own responses to these questions.
- What kind of work do you do? What do you like best about it? What is your biggest work challenge? What drew you into that field? Tell me more about your field. I work at … I am interested because…
- What do you most enjoy in life?
- I’m feeling … How is your day going?
- What do you hope to get from (this situation)?
- Any comment or questions about the weather.
- Any question or comment about a recent sport event you like.
- Any question or comment about a current event.
- I really like (some piece of clothing or perfume) you are wearing. Can you tell me more about it?
- Can you help me? I am doing a survey on… and would like your perspective.
- I just did … before coming here. Have you ever had any experiences like that?
- What do you think of (a surrounding item or décor)?
- Make a quip or light-hearted joke.
- I see they are serving refreshments. May I get you some?
- I just saw the … show last night. Have you seen it? What were your thoughts about it? Or: What good show have you seen lately?
- I have been looking for a … Can you recommend anything?
- You have a wonderful … (e.g. smile).
- Where in the world would you like to live?
- I am going (or have been) on a holiday to …. Where do you like to holiday? Why do you like that location best?
- How do you spend your weekends? I ask because I’m looking for new interests.
- I have been working on plans for my life. Where do you see yourself in 3 to 5 years?
Building relationships takes time, it’s a journey, it means caring about the other person and wanting to know more aboout them.
A lot of people that I run into are so busy talking about them…. and their problems…. that they forget that the other person has things to share about themselves.
I really support you in thinking about your conversation,,,, are you monopolizing it,,, or are you engaging the other person by asking questions, listening, and caring about them.
Happy New Year Everyone — This should help make it a really great one for you.